The day of the MOVE to SK!

Wednedsay, August 29th, 2012 was the day I moved across the world with zero expectations. I signed a one year contract to move abroad and had NO IDEA what I was getting myself into. 

Well here is how the day went: 

  • There was a typhoon in Korea, so I was stuck in Seattle for 8 hours longer than expected. This was after sobbing on the phone to the airline in Spokane with my mom nearby because I had no idea what I was doing. 
  • Luckily, my dad happened to be in Seattle so he picked me up and we had a few beers for lunch. 
  • I finally left Seattle around 7PM on Wednesday and arrived at Incheon Airport at 11PM on Thursday. 
  • I missed my connection for my next flight at the other Gimhae Airport.
  • I took a free shuttle to a hotel that was paid for by the airline. I finally had a bed, slippers, and a shower. 
  • I have ZERO idea of when I should be on my next flight to Busan the next day since I missed that, so I called the airline and they said they would fly me straight to Ulsan where I would be living. 
  • I got a free taxi ride in the morning. I studied my Korean-English dictionary for the entire 45 minute ride ready to say “고맙습니다” (thank you). However, as soon as I got out of the cab I chickened out. 
  • I met two Canadians on my next flight who were moving to the same city as me. 
  • The airplane was playing “America’s Funniest Home Videos” the entire time.
  • No one speaks English.
  • I was picked up at the airport by two women who worked at my school. They brought me McDonald’s because I’m American. 
  • I’m obsessed with Ulsan. I lived near the mountains and the ocean. 
  • I met three of my neighbors who would be my coworkers. Two were also from Washington state and one from northern California. They were very friendly and helpful. 
  • I found out immediately I would be driving to Seoul in the morning for a work meeting. WHAT?! I was just there…. 
  • Overall, I loved the city from the start. I spent 40 hours traveling, there is a 16 hour time difference, I was extremely jet-lagged, and then headed straight off to duck barbecue and the bar. 


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: